If long, voluminous and luscious locks are your end goal, but you don’t want to wait forever to achieve this on your own, hair extensions might be the perfect solution. Hair extensions continue to prove themselves as a versatile, stylish and natural-looking option for creating added volume, length and colour almost instantly! In this article, we’re shining a spotlight on keratin bond hair extensions which we’re proud to offer our wonderful clients at our specialist Dickson hair salon, Canberra Hair Extensions.
What are keratin hair extensions?
Keratin hair extensions, also known as keratin bonds, are a more traditional way of installing permanent hair extensions when compared to the beaded weft and tape hair extension methods. Hair stylists and clients alike never tire of praising this proven method for its ease of installation, extremely natural-looking results, comfort and durability which requires less maintenance than weft and tape methods.
Keratin hair extensions comprise strands of real, unprocessed human hair, which bond to your own hair via keratin adhesive tips. Keratin is a type of protein that your hair, skin, and nails consist of. So for many, keratin hair extensions are the obvious and natural choice. At Canberra Hair Extensions, we offer two incredible options for keratin bond extensions from Amazing Hair and Great Lengths, with over 100 colours to choose from.
The benefits of keratin hair extensions
There are many benefits of keratin hair extensions, including:
- The main reason many of our guests will choose keratin bonds over other methods is that they stay in the hair for 4-6 months without the need for adjustments, meaning fewer visits to the salon
- A quick and effective way of adding length and volume to your hair
- When applied and removed correctly, they don’t do damage because keratin is not harsh on your hair or scalp.
- Extremely natural looking
- Many colours to choose from to change or perfectly match your natural hair colour
- With proper care, they can last for as long as six months
- The way the bonds are placed in your hair allows for natural movement
- Allows you to experiment with different hair colours without exposing your hair to harsh chemicals
- More comfortable than other extension methods
- Easy to style and wear in a ponytail
The keratin bond extensions process
Below, you can explore the process for getting keratin bond extensions:
At our Dickson hair salon, getting keratin bond extensions always begins with a consultation with one of our experienced stylists. During this consultation, they’ll talk you through the ins and outs of getting this type of hair extension, help you choose the perfect length and colour, and provide you with a quote.
When applying your keratin bond extensions, your stylists will use groups of strands (roughly 20 strands per group). How many strands you require for achieving your desired result will depend on how much hair you have and your desired look, but typically a full head requires between 80 to 120 bonds.
To install your keratin bond extensions, your stylist will fuse the keratin tips at the root of the hair extensions to sections of your natural hair. They do this using a hot tool to melt the keratin tip and then manually shape the melted bond around your hair shaft. Upon cooling, the bond becomes solid and durable.
Your stylist repeats this process, row by row and strand by strand, except for your upper layers of hair which are untouched to cover the lower layers’ keratin bonds for a natural-looking finish.
To complete the process, your stylist will blow dry your hair and perform a dry cut, if required, ensuring your new hair extensions are perfectly blended-in and evened out. You can generally expect the process of getting keratin bond extensions to take between two and three hours.
Maintenance for keratin extensions
Because salon visits are less frequent with this kind of hair extension, caring for your keratin bonds at home is crucial! Your stylist will give you all the ‘must dos’ to ensure you get the best out of your extensions and maintain the health of your natural hair. However, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Try to avoid washing your hair excessively – it’s best if you can keep it to once or twice per week.
- Salt water and chlorine can loosen your keratin bonds, so swimming should be done sparingly if possible.
- Use a detangling brush to gently brush out any knots in your hair twice daily. Brushing is super important and must be done from roots to ends to avoid matting at the top or tangles on your ends.
- Using incorrect hair products can cause your keratin bonds to slip – your stylist will recommend the perfect hair care products to get the best longevity out of your extensions
- Avoid over-styling your hair (curling, straightening, etc) and always use a heat protector
- Never go to bed with wet hair, this will cause matting which may damage your hair and the extensions.
- Plait your hair each night to protect your beautiful new hair.
Frequently asked questions
Below, you can find answers to some questions we get asked a lot about keratin hair extensions:
The cost of keratin bond extensions can depend on several factors, including the quality of the hair extensions used, the experience of the stylist installing them, how many bonds you require and the colour and length of the extensions you choose. You can get an idea of pricing here, but the best way to get a reliable indication of how much keratin bond extensions will cost you is by booking a consultation with one of our hair extension specialists.
To ensure you don’t damage your hair during the removal process, it’s important to ensure you have your keratin bonds removed professionally by a hairstylist. To remove your keratin hair extensions, they’ll use a special solution that softens the bonds until they’re able to gently slide off your own hair without any tugging required.
Because the keratin adhesive tips are melted to attach them to your own hair, unfortunately, these types of hair extensions are single-use only.
Keratin bond extensions Canberra
Keratin bond extensions offer a damage-free, long-lasting hair extension solution. Once installed, they stay in your hair for between 3 and 6 months and require hardly any maintenance visits to the salon, making them a perfect option for the time-poor. If you’re looking for a reputable salon that can make your hair extension dreams a reality, look no further than our Dickson hair salon, Canberra Hair Extensions, Canberra’s premier hair extension and hair colour destination.
Contact us today to make an appointment. Our experienced team of stylists can’t wait to meet you!